Lilli in Australia

Yes, you’re right: this is the homepage of Lilian in the land of Kangaroos, Koalas and the lot! Rather than telling you all the long stories about what happened since I arrived in Australia, I use this site as a platform to publish all the heaps of photos I took during my stay. It’s an easy way to show them to all of you. Just click yourself through the page to be up to date with “Lil in OZ” :-) …(more under post “G’day mate!”)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oslo, Norway

Wednesday, 7 June 2006

Alice Springs - Kata Tjuta & Uluru (Outback trip)

Day 7

Another 3 days have passed. At 6.15 am our next adventure begins with Terry - guide number 3 for the 3. third of the trip - travelling to the Outback Camel Farm where we have the option (at own expense) to ride a camel. Did you know that Australia possesses the best camels in the world? Africa imports many camels from Australia because of their quality.


As typical tourist attraction, wherever you see camels in OZ, they offer camel rides: $5 for a 5 minute stroll around the ring or even for an hour.
I absolutely refused to sit on one; I thought camels had nothing to do in Down Under. But I was set right that day. However, I still can't associate camels with OZ.







The toilet indications in Curtin Springs:




View from Curtin Springs at "Mount O'Conner"! (no, this is not IT, the big red rock, as many immediately suppose when seeing this picture!)


We still have to cover a long distance on this highway, viewing on more than 400 km the unique scenery...


...collect some wood for the campfire in the evening...


...until we finally arrive at the red centre: Uluru as the local Aborigines call Ayers Rock.


In our camp in the Ayes Rock Resort in Yulara we prepare some lunch to be fit for the 2 hours walk (abt. 9 km) around one of the world's largest rocks.


"The Olgas" or Kata Tjuta


There we go: it's amazing! Just impressive! I can't describe the feelings that overcame me when we approached this (for the Aborigines) sacred place. Unbelievably overwhelming!
In 1985 the Australian government returned ownership of Uluru to the local Aborigines, with one of the conditions being that the locals would lease it back to the National Parks and that it would be jointly managed.


After a visit to the Cultural Centre offering the chance to view and purchase Aboriginal arts and crafts we enjoy a walk around the base exploring the mysterious rock formations and Aboriginal art sites while watching the changing light on the desert.







































The local "Anangu" do not climb Uluru because of its great spiritual significance. They request that visitors do not climb the rock, partly due to the path crossing a sacred traditional dreaming track, and also as a sense of responsibility for the safety of visitors. The Anangu have a spiritual connection to Uluru and feel great sadness when a person dies or is injured whilst climbing in their land.
So if you know ask if I climbed it? No!!!! Definitely not! Why? Just see above! I think one should respect their wish.

Climbing Uluru is a popular attraction for visitors. Thus a chain handhold was added in the 60's to make the hour long climb easier, but it is still a long and steep hike to the top. An above average level of fitness, and a high tolerance to the extreme hot desert conditions is required. Over the years there have been at least 40 deaths, mainly due to heart failure whilst climbing, as well as non-fatal heart attacks and other injuries.





Ayers Rock is notable for appearing to change its colour as the different light strikes it at different times of the day and year, with sunset and sunrise a particularly remarkable sight. The rock is made of sandstone infused with minerals like that reflect the red light of sunrise and sunset, making it appear to glow. The rock gets its rust colour from oxidation.

Special sunset and sunrise viewing points have been constructed to give tourists the best views of both sites at dawn and dusk.

Sunset at 6.05 pm


at 6.08 pm


at 6.23 pm


at 6.25 pm


at 6.31 pm


at 6.33 pm


I would have loved to post even more pictures to show the gradually changing colours. But I didn't want to bore you with 25 times more or less the same picture... though the amazing colours continue tomorrow :-)

A nice BBQ finishes off the day and I jump into my pyjamas, into my sleeping bag and then into a swag again: another night under sky and stars! It was freezing - but only outside my swag.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home