Lilli in Australia

Yes, you’re right: this is the homepage of Lilian in the land of Kangaroos, Koalas and the lot! Rather than telling you all the long stories about what happened since I arrived in Australia, I use this site as a platform to publish all the heaps of photos I took during my stay. It’s an easy way to show them to all of you. Just click yourself through the page to be up to date with “Lil in OZ” :-) …(more under post “G’day mate!”)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oslo, Norway

Friday, 12 May 2006

Il Duomo

When my mum was here in Melbourne, we discovered a really nice Italian bar/café in the noble Block Arcades in my street, Elizabeth Street, called "Il Duomo".

Right then when we stopped there for a coffee they were looking for new staff.
Since December I had been "unemployed" and now that the long summer break was over I was searching for a new job. Thus, I immediately asked and was told to hand in my CV. As instructed I did the following day. But since the manager wasn't available I decided to pass the next day to hand in the CV personally to him. But when I dropped in again, the position was no longer available :-( What a pity! It was such a nice place, Italian, cosy atmosphere...

Luckily I was given a second chance. One day (May 6) I met with Hanna & Werner Seibold (you met in a previous post) and went there for a coffee. While ending up in a chat with one of the waiters, Slim, I mentioned that I once applied for a job there but unsuccessfully. The manager heard this and offered to hand in again my CV. As told I did it again the next day, I had a small interview and was immediately employed :-)

They were not actually looking for staff, coz there was no real need for it. However, I was offered to work first only 1 day per week. That was all fine for me as it was becoming more and more busy at uni. As it was only one day per week I was paid immediately, and just $13/hr. But I didn't have to pay tax. And it was just for maximum 6 more weeks. I was just happy to have a little money extra in my wallet.
Additionally, I simply didn't care about the money because I simply loved that place to work. It was Italian - I don't have to say more I think :-)
The kitchen staff/cook was Sicilian, the manager and some others also Italian :-) It was a nice working atmosphere, a café with charm.









I just feel so sorry: when they employed me I lied and told them I would stay for longer. If I wanted the job I couldn't tell them I would leave in 6 weeks...
I know, it's not the right way, but beginning July I told them that I unexpectedly might not be able to work any longer but it still wouldn't be sure... They were so nice and said for that week they wouldn't put me on the roster. I should call them back when I can work again and when I knew more. I never went back there or called because two days later I left :-(

I'm sorry for them because they were nice people!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home